This is a healthy version of a vegan curry. For someone who like meat, this recipe goes really well with chicken. Served with brown rice it’s a high fibre meal packed with nutrition. If you would like a spicier version just add more chilli or cool it down with adding less chilli. Curries are also always better the next day so is a great lunch option to take to work.
- 1 Whole butternut
- 1 Tin chickpeas
- 1 Tin tomatoes
- 1 Tin Light coconut milk
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Large red chilli
- 1 tsp fresh garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 3 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 Handful fresh coriander
- Canola oil for cooking
- Optional 500g chicken
- 4 cups brown rice cooked
- Put your oven on to 180 Degrees
- Chop your butternut into cubes keeping the butternut skin on.
- Place the butternut in an oven pan and lightly drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of cumin, turmeric and nutmeg.
- Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven to roast for 20 minutes or until you see the butternut starting to caramelise.
- In a pot, brown your onions with a small amount of oil (1 Tablespoon) with the chilli, garlic ginger, coriander seeds, cumin, nutmeg and turmeric.
- Then add your tinned tomato, coconut milk, butternut and chickpeas.
- Continue to cook the curry on a low heat until the sauce starts to thicken. This will take approximately 20 – 30 minutes.
- Once thickened, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with Coriander and serve with brown rice.
- This dish goes well with chicken strips lightly browned in a pan then added to the curry just before serving.