Packed with protein and fibre this lentils and barley salad is a delicious dinner or lunch option. It is not an expensive meal to make ether and great for those of you trying to watch their weight. Its full of healthy fats and you will notice I used no oil for cooking or dressings. If you prefer, you can add a tablespoon of a good quality olive oil to the lentil salad, but it is not essential.
There are many variations to this meal so you can switch your chicken for some salmon or lean beef. For a meat free version just leave out the animal protein all together. Legumes (lentils & chickpeas) are a source of protein, fibre, carbohydrates and minerals. So without your meat you will still be getting a good source of protein. Legumes are also free from fat and very filling. Try this dinner idea out and feel free to play around with your own variations to it 🙂
Recipe Lentil & barley Salad
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup cooked barley
- Rind of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 handful coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 10cm cucumber, chopped
- 1 small-medium chicken breast
- 1 medium-large egg
- 1/2 small avocado, sliced
- Home Made Hummus
- Salt & pepper
- Once lentils and barley have cooked, remove excess water and mix in lemon juice and rind, vinegar, coriander, tomato, cucumber and season with salt and pepper.
- Season your chicken breast and then grill until cook. Slice your chicken breast lengthwise.
- Add an egg to rapidly boiling water. For soft-medium eggs boil for exactly 5 minutes. Remove from the hot water and cool in cold water. Gently peel off the shell careful not to break the egg.
- When plating up put lentils on the plate first then top with your chicken breast, egg, avocado and a tablespoon of home made hummus.
- Season & serve!