I love finding any way to include more fish (salmon) into my diet. Fish is full of healthy omega 3’s which is an essential fat in the body which means that it can’t be made in the body so we have to ingest it. The Heart and Stroke Foundation recommend eating fish at least twice a week and choosing your fatty fish’s like salmon, trout, mackerel, pilchards, sardines and fresh tuna.
Fish is a good alternative to red meat as it is a good protein source and does not contain saturated fat like red meat does. Fish is a good source of vitamin B and minerals such as iron, zinc and iodine. Fish with soft edible bones, like sardines, tinned salmon or pilchards also provide calcium.
This recipe was very simple to follow and you can choose your own side to go with your fish cakes. As I don’t use potato in the fish cakes a good side would be a baked sweet potato or some sweet potato mask. Mushy peas or butternut would also be a suitable healthy carbohydrate alternative to go with your fish cakes. I Served my salmon cakes with a quinoa and kidney bean salad and a coriander dressing. If you make slightly bigger portions they work well as a salmon burger patties as well.
I topped the salmon cakes off with an avocado paste and a squeeze of lemon juice 🙂
Salmon Cakes Recipe
Makes 5 Salmon Cakes or 3 burger patties
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked fresh/frozen salmon. You can also use 3 tins of tinned salmon.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried dill)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp almond flour ( you can use normal flour)
- 1 Tbsp oil (coconut or canola)
- Optional: 1 Red chilli ( if you like it spicier)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 Avocado
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl except the oil and the salmon and shape our your cakes/patties. Try be sure to squeeze out as much liquid from the mixture as possible. You may need to add more flour to the mixture to dry it out.
- Heat a non stick pan and when the pan is hot drizzle in the 1 Tbsp of oil in.
- Place the cakes/patties in the hot pan and allow them to brown on ether side. To help keep the cakes together you can slowly roll the edges of the cake around the edge of the pan to help cook the outside.
- While the cakes are cooking make the avocado paste. Mash the Avocado in a bowl with a bit of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- When the cakes/patties are golden brown remove them from the pan and top with the avocado paste and a squeeze of lemon.