This low cost, easy dinner is perfect for a quick dinner option. Not only is a frittata delicious but it can also be a low carb option. This recipe goes a long way and can easily serve 6 people comfortably. It also keeps till the next day so is a great cold lunch option. If you would prefer not to have bacon you can easily replace bacon with kidney beans, salmon or even chicken.
Another way of making these is in a muffin tray to give each person a mini muffin frittata 🙂
Recipe For Vegetable Frittata
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 Packet Lean Bacon
- 6 eggs (OR 4 whole eggs and 180 ml Woolworth’s liquid egg whites)
- 100 ml Low fat milk
- 1/2 Tin tinned tomato
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 small brinjal, sliced and cut in half
- 150g packet sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Canola oil
- On a low heat start to cook your onions with your oil. When they start to soften add your bacon and garlic.
- When the bacon is cooked add the tinned tomato, brinjal and mushrooms and cook until the brinjal is soft.
- Add the spinach and allow the spinach to start to wilt in the pan.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl with the milk and season with salt, pepper and herbs of your choice (I used fresh thyme).
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Using a spoon allow the egg to get to the bottom of the pan without stirring.
- Cook for a while in the pan on the top of the stove then sprinkle with grated cheese and put the pan in the oven. Put the oven onto grill and allow the frittata to cook for 10 minutes until the egg has cooked.
- Enjoy with a side salad or even toasted ciabatta bread.